If you’re a blogger, a laptop is your best friend. It’s the place where all of your ideas are born and it can be used as a tool to help you grow your blog.
But what if you don’t have one? It may seem impossible, but there are ways around this!
HOW TO BLOG WITHOUT A LAPTOP?
Blogging can be done without a laptop with the help of a smartphone or a tablet, your choice of a mobile blogging app, and some extra tools to make this process easier: mobile text editing/notebook apps, as well as image editing apps, and some extra hardware, such as a Bluetooth keyboard.
This post will cover all the steps on how to blog without a laptop in detail.
Whether you want to save some money or have an emergency plan in place, after reading this article you will have all the information on how to begin your mobile blogging career.
GET A GOOD PHONE/TABLET FOR BLOGGING
There are other ways, besides a laptop, to blog and share your thoughts with the world. One way is to get a good phone or tablet.
Remember that you might need to do many different things with your device, so make sure it will have a suitable processor to handle it.
HOW TO CHOOSE A SMARTPHONE FOR BLOGGING
To blog from a smartphone, you need some kind of internet connection and decent software.
If you’re looking to buy a new phone for blogging without a laptop, both Samsung and iPhone are good choices.
- Make sure it will have a good battery! You don’t want your phone dying while you’re in the middle of a post or a picture session.
- Another important factor is storage space: having too little free space on your device can slow down the process and impact your blog experience negatively.
- I recommend getting at least 16GB of memory if possible so you can store more pictures and videos without worrying about running out of disk space.
- Think about the camera – are you going to be taking pictures for the blog yourself? You might want to invest in more megapixels if so. If the phone only has 2 MP, then it may not be worth blogging with due to how poor the picture quality may be. If you want to take good pictures, then you will need a camera with a minimum of 5 MP.
HOW TO CHOOSE A TABLET FOR BLOGGING
While these days it is definitely possible to blog with your phone, a tablet is even a better gadget for blogging without a laptop. If you have a choice between the two, I would go for a tablet.
The bigger screen alone is a big advantage over mobile phones. It makes it easier to edit images, videos and read. It also boosts your typing experience when using an on-screen keyboard.
These devices make life easier. They are portable and great for traveling with.
A lot of people are turning their tablets into mobile workstations with the addition of an external keyboard.
Same like with choosing a phone for blogging, there are some specifications to consider:
- Think about how heavy the tablet is. Are you someone who spends a lot of time sitting down in one spot, or do you move around? If you’re not mobile, then weight may not be an issue for you. However, if you are constantly moving around, then you will want to choose a lightweight tablet. It can become cumbersome to move around with something heavy.
- Consider how much storage the tablet has. If you choose a tablet without any removable storage, then you will need to make do with what you have. However, if you can store files to an SD card or another type of removable storage, then you will be able to increase how much content you have at your disposal.
- Check how many megapixels your tablet’s camera has. This is for bloggers who plan to snap photographs for the blog themselves. Same as with smartphones – more megapixels = higher quality pictures on your blog.
- Think about how much RAM the tablet has. A 4 GB RAM is okay for most blogging purposes, but if the tablet only has 2 GB, then it may slow down how fast you can type. More RAM = better performance.
- Consider the screen size. The higher the number of pixels, the better your chances are that you will be able to see everything well on your tablet’s screen. Anything less than 10 inches, and things may get too small for you to read – especially if you have poor eyesight.
- Also think about how much you will be using your tablet, as battery life may become an issue for you.
Tablets are great for blogging without a laptop and will make your blogging life so much easier. I would recommend either the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 or the Apple iPad Pro 12.9″ – both have awesome screens that can be viewed even in direct sunlight and enough battery power to get you through the day with ease.
CHOOSE A MOBILE BLOGGING APP
Once you have your mobile device sorted, you need a blogging platform.
You may have heard of bloggers using WordPress, Blogger, and other content management systems.
You can use the browser on your mobile device to create an account on one of these websites and start blogging, but using a mobile app can be even better.
These apps have been designed to work with your device’s features and hardware.
Here’s how to blog without a laptop:
The Google blogging app allows you to blog from your device without the need for a laptop. Posting new entries and editing your old ones is as simple as pressing a button, which makes blogging on the go easy! This app is free and can be found on either iTunes or Google Play so you can download it to your phone or tablet.
The WordPress app for your mobile device is a great way to blog on the go. WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems in the world, and indeed it is my preferred choice. It is great if you are self-hosting your blog. WordPress app allows you to manage everything from your mobile device. It is free on both the iTunes and Google Play stores, so download it today if you haven’t already!
Wix Owner app
This app does require a Wix account, but it is free to create your profile and start blogging. The design of this app has been optimized for the mobile experience. Using this app will give you many blogging options including templates, fonts, and layouts that are designed to showcase your content – all without needing a laptop or desktop computer.
The Squarespace app has to be one of the most user-friendly apps for blogging with your mobile device. It works quickly and seamlessly. I’ve found that this app’s layout is perfect for blogging on the go while using your phone or tablet. It allows for posting full blog entries, including photos and videos. Like the Wix Owner app, this one is free to download in both the iTunes store or Google Play.
If you are serious about blogging and one day would like to monetize your website, definitely go with one of the options above.
However, everyone has different needs, so feel free to check out some other apps too:
- Tumblr app – easy to share links, images, videos, and more from your device on Tumblr. You can make an account with a username and password, or you can log in with Facebook. Tumblr is free and it allows you to blog from your phone. You can make a blog and post updates in minutes. You can download it on either iTunes or Google Play.
- Postach.io – An easy way to keep a blog without having to use Blogger or WordPress, all you need is an email address! This app allows you to create posts and upload images with ease on your phone or tablet. All of this can be done without the need for a laptop which makes blogging on the go easier than ever.
- Blogsy – an app for iPad users who are tech-savvy and want to use an app that isn’t available through iTunes or Google Play. This app requires you to install it on your laptop first then download it to your device, making it harder to use than apps that can be found in iTunes or Google Play. However, it allows you to upload photos and make blog posts on the go!
USE MOBILE TEXT EDITING APPS
Another useful tool for blogging from a mobile device is a text editing app.
If you don’t want to write directly to your blogging platform, you may use it for typing up the blog post until it is ready to be published.
Text editors are also great for taking notes and storing research data for a blog post.
Here are some tried and tested ones:
Word (app or online)
You can download an app onto your phone or tablet, otherwise, Microsoft Word can be used right in your browser. With this program, you can make blog posts without the need for a laptop. You can upload photos, videos, and links to other sources which makes this program great for blogging on the go.
This app is another tech-savvy way of blogging from your phone or tablet. This app can be used in place of Microsoft Word when you don’t have a laptop nearby. You will need to sync this app to your laptop before you can use it on your device, but after that, you will have the ability to blog from anywhere.
This is a great app for those who want to keep track of their thoughts and how they arrive at conclusions. Everything you write down in this app is saved into notebooks which allows you to record how you brainstormed and created your ideas. This app is free on iTunes or Google Play so it’s easily downloaded, making it a great choice for those who want to keep track of their thoughts while being able to post them on the go!
This app has many uses for those looking to write without a laptop. If you have a Google account, then all your work is saved online and can be accessed from anywhere with an Internet connection! This app allows you to write, edit, share and store your work. You can create PowerPoint presentations by uploading photos and adding text which is perfect for bloggers who want to be able to use slides in their posts!
VOICE-TO-TEXT APPS FOR BLOGGING WITHOUT A LAPTOP
Dictation software can be a big help when you’re trying to run a blog from your phone.
Just speak into your phone’s microphone and have it transcribe your words by using applications like:
- Google Docs Voice Typing
- Voice Notes
- Dragon Anywhere
- Transcribe – Speech to Text
Of course, this method comes with some pros and cons.
- The text comes out much more quickly than typing.
- You don’t have to type anything. For anyone who has problems using their hands, either because of a disability or lack of motor control, this makes blogging much more accessible.
- Helpful for those who tend to lose their train of thought while typing
- Often these apps are free
- You can edit your draft after it has been transcribed by using the select tool to highlight, cut, copy, and paste.
- Voice transcription is not always perfect. You’ll usually have more errors and awkward sentences to correct, than if it was typed on your laptop/desktop.
- The quality will depend on your microphone and even the speed at which you speak
- Like anything else, there are some things that voice dictation can’t do as well as typing on a laptop or desktop computer using a keyboard. These include formatting where you have to switch between different fonts or formats quickly, bolding or italicizing words, adding bullets or numbering lists, etc.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONNECTED
You can do a lot of the writing on the text editing apps even when there is no WiFi in sight.
However, if you want the world to see your blog, you would need to have an internet connection to eventually upload your content to the blogging platform of your choice.
A good, stable WiFi connection is your best friend.
If you can’t connect to WiFi, you might be able to set up a mobile hotspot from someone else’s computer.
If that is not an option, you can also head to your local library and log in with their Wi-Fi network.
If all else fails, you can go to a coffee shop or restaurant that has free Wi-Fi.
Paid Wi-Fi options are also available.
Lastly, if you are unable to find a Wi-Fi connection, you can also use your phone’s mobile data.
Mobile data gives you an advantage as you can blog literally from anywhere – at home, on the bus, waiting in line at the dentist, etc.
It should be noted that if your phone’s mobile data plan is not unlimited, use it sparingly or you will end up having to pay extra if you do not monitor your usage.
INVEST IN A BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD
One of the most important tools for bloggers is a keyboard.
Blogging on a small screen can be difficult and slow because you have to type each letter individually.
Instead, invest in a Bluetooth keyboard.
This saves time and is easier for people who don’t want to get carpal tunnel from all the typing on their phone.
Bluetooth keyboards can be found for as low as $20 on Amazon. It’s a small investment that is worth it in the long run.
Bluetooth keyboards can be used on both phones and tablets, which makes them great for bloggers who use a variety of devices.
USE PICTURE EDITING APPS
There are several photo editing applications to pick from, but the following ones I consider to be ideal for bloggers:
- Picmokey has a mobile app that lets you edit images on your phone. It also allows you to upload them to their server and share them with the world through the web or social media applications.
- Canva is another good mobile app that allows you to not only edit your photos but also create new images from scratch with the elements they provide. Canva Pro version is my go-to tool, and I cannot imagine blogging without it.
Other photo editing apps that may be useful:
- Lightroom Mobile
- SketchBook Motion
- Photoshop Fix
- Over (formerly Layout)
- WeVideo: Video and Photo Collage App for iOS and Android
PUT TOGETHER A MOBILE BLOGGING KIT
If you are still wondering how is it possible to blog without a laptop, here’s the answer: you need a mobile blogging kit.
What is a mobile blogging kit, you ask? It contains anything and everything that you need to have at all times if you want a smooth blogging journey.
Here’s a little list of example items:
- Your mobile device charger/power bank. It’s important to have this on hand in case your battery dies mid-blogging session.
- Pen + notebook – always a useful tool for a blogger, especially when blogging without a laptop.
- Portable Hard Drive – use it to back up your content in case you lose any data on your mobile device (or lose the device itself!)
- The previously mentioned Bluetooth keyboard – a must-have for writing long posts with less effort.
PROMOTE BLOG ON SOCIAL MEDIA APPS
All of the biggest social media sites have mobile apps that can be used for promoting your blog without a computer.
The easiest way to get started is by using Facebook and Twitter mobile apps to share links, start discussions and build up your following base.
But don’t stop there!
Here’s a list of social media sites that are free, easy to use, widespread, and mobile-friendly:
Use these sites to connect with your audience and grow.
This is the most straightforward step, as it’s not much different from posting your material on a laptop.
Social media apps have made it extremely easy to get the word out about your blog without having a computer at all!
SUMMARY: IS IT POSSIBLE TO BLOG WITHOUT A LAPTOP?
You don’t need a laptop to blog these days.
There are many ways you can start your own blog without needing one of the most expensive pieces of equipment in our digital world.
If you have access to any type of smartphone or tablet, there are simple apps that will allow you to create text and image-based blogs with ease.
This is great news for anyone who has been thinking about starting their own personal blogging space but didn’t have the funds for a new computer purchase!
Don’t let an outdated piece of technology stop you from sharing your thoughts, opinions, and dreams with others on the web – grab yourself some mobile devices today and get started writing immediately!
What do you think? Have we convinced you this might be worth trying?